Data Privacy Statement
Sicangco & Sicangco Law Offices (“SICANGCO LAW” or the “Firm”) understands and recognizes the importance of protecting personal data of individuals (also known as “data subjects”) pursuant to the policies stated in Republic Act No. 10173 or the “Data Privacy Act of 2012” (“DPA”) including but not limited to other applicable laws on data privacy, protection, and security.
SICANGCO LAW is a full-service law Firm offering an entire spectrum of legal services. It is duly organized and registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission as a General Professional Partnership.
To this end, this Data Privacy Statement/Policy implemented by SICANGCO LAW will apply generally to all persons, employees, or clients whose personal data are collected, processed, stored, shared, and/or destroyed strictly for the purposes stated herein and/or in connection with legal and commercial transactions with SICANGCO LAW.
The DPA regulates personal data which is either personal information or sensitive personal information. Personal information refers to any information whether recorded in a material form or not, from which the identity of an individual is apparent or can be reasonably and directly ascertained by the by the entity holding the information, or when put together with other information would directly identify an individual. On the other hand, sensitive personal information is information referring to the data subject’s age, date of birth, civil status, any government issued identification numbers, policy information, health or medical, or financial information, among others. Sensitive personal information likewise includes privileged information which refers to any and all information considered under the law as privileged, such as, those acquired by lawyers in the course of their professional practice. SICANGCO LAW shall exercise all reasonable efforts to safeguard the personal information and sensitive personal information (collectively referred to as “personal information”) it collects from its data subjects.
Collection of Personal Data
During the course of any legal and/or commercial transaction with SICANGCO LAW, you may be required to disclose and you likewise expressly consent to the collection of the following personal data, such as but not limited to:
- Your name and other particulars such as contact details, mailing address, electronic mail (“e-mail”) address, telephone number, mobile number, birthdate, bank information or details and other sensitive information;
- Details of pertinent personal facts relative to the legal services over which you have engaged SICANGCO LAW;
- Confidential matters which are personal in nature;
- Details of your government issued identification cards; and,
- Business interests or affiliations.
Processing, Use and Purpose of collecting Personal Data
Processing refers to any operation or any set of operations performed upon personal information including, not limited to, the collection, recording, organization, storage, updating or modification, retrieval, consultation, use, consolidation, blocking erasure or destruction of data.
To this end, SICANGCO LAW undertakes that processing of personal data will only be used for the following purposes:
- In relation to the request of clients for legal services;
- To carry out the objectives pursuant to an engagement for legal services;
- For judicial, quasi-judicial and administrative proceedings and related cases;
- Respond to clients queries and requests;
- Inform clients of updates on law and jurisprudence, Firm’s programs and related activities;
- To comply with governmental requirements pursuant to court orders, administrative orders, law, regulation, memoranda, circulars, directives and related statutes; and,
- Such other usage necessary to carry out the objectives of the Firm and the client.
Sharing of Personal Data
SICANGCO LAW may share or disclose personal data of data subjects to its authorized representatives, related entities, governmental entities, judicial and quasi-judicial entities, necessary third party individuals, and third-party service providers ( the latter, duly covered by the appropriate service agreements) who are engaged or hired to perform functions necessary to the functions of the Firm as well as to our clients authorized representatives and agents.
Moreover, SICANGCO LAW may transfer, store, and/or process personal data outside the Philippines. In view of this, SICANGCO LAW endeavors to comply with the DPA and its implementing rules and regulations.
Protection and Security Measures
In compliance with the DPA and its implementing rules and regulations, SICANGCO LAW employs the appropriate administrative, physical, and technical security measures to protect and secure personal data. Additional safety measures shall likewise be employed by SICANGCO LAW with respect to sensitive personal information and privileged information. These safeguards and security measures will constantly be monitored, update, and maintained by qualified professionals.
Rights of a Data Subject
With respect to the right of privacy, right of access and correction/ objection of every data subject, the latter may regulate by written instructions to the Firm their personal data in the following manner:
- To limit the sharing of information provided.
- Update and correct personal data at any time.
- Suspend, withdraw, object, block, remove or destroy their personal data in the custody of the Firm.
- Other concerns with respect to collection, processing, use, sharing, and protection of personal data.
SICANGCO LAW shall likewise make the necessary modifications or amendments to this Privacy Statement/Policy as the need arises to reflect current laws and regulations with respect to collection, use, protection, storage, sharing, and/or disposal of your personal information. Moreover, for substantial changes which will affect the purpose for which personal data was collected, unless the data subject otherwise specifically instructs SICANGCO LAW in writing, the continued use or processing by SICANGCO LAW of the such information provided shall be maintained.
For any concern on review, updating or deletion of personal data provided to SICANGCO LAW, kindly submit such written request at 1205 Security Bank Center, 6776 Ayala Avenue, Makati City, 1226 Philippines.